The Postal Service didn't identify and recover about $9.9 million in fuel overpayments to trucking contractors in 2009 and 2010 through its Voyager Card Program, which allows drivers to expense gas on a credit card, an Oct. 30 USPS inspector general report says. The USPS IG found that in 2009 and 2010 the Postal Service calculated and recovered $12.6 million in overpayments, but when the IG did its own calculations, it found $22.5 million in overpayments.
The Internal Revenue Service made no significant improvements to curbing improper payments of refundable tax credit for low income families and hasn't established improper payment reduction targets, a recently released Aug. 28 Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration report says.
The Social Security Administration may have made $1.29 billion in disability benefits overpayments to about 36,000 individuals as of January 2013, a recently released Aug, 15 Government Accountability Office report says. The payment may have gone to recipients who were working during a mandatory 5-month pre-benefits waiting period, the report (.pdf) says.
The Veterans Benefits Administration delayed by 15 months pension adjustments for 93,000 veterans in fiscal 2012 because of increased workload, a Sept. 4 Veterans Affairs inspector general report (.pdf) says.
Agriculture Department's Farm Service Agency state offices didn't properly review tax returns or keep complete records of federal farm program particpants which led to improper payments to ineligible participants, an Aug. 29 Government Accountability Office report (.pdf) says. For each farm assistance program participant in 2009 and 2010, state offices were to maintain a file containing copies of complete tax returns, copies of the original self-certification forms submitted by the participant and calculation worksheets for average farm income and nonfarm income, among other documents, the report says.
Nearly a quarter of all Transportation Department employee purchases in fiscal 2010 and 2011 did not comply with DOT rules for employee spending, a DOT inspector general report (.pdf) says. During those years, DOT employees spent $277 million in 450,000 transactions on their purchase cards, the report says. About $58 million of that did not comply with DOT employee spending controls, the report says.
Deceased farmers may have received more than $30 million from three Agriculture Department programs in recent years, the Government Accountability Office says. The bulk of these payments were crop insurance from the USDA's Risk Management Agency.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency deleted records of debt waivers that it should have kept, a report from the Homeland Security Department office of inspector general says. Only 30 percent of the cases were deleted simply because FEMA hadn't gotten to the other 70 percent yet.
Medicare hasn't recovered $543 million in overpayments to providers in 2010 because the new accounting system for the Center for Medicare Services did not automatically extract data and provider information was lost, says a June Health and Human Service inspector general report (.pdf) that was released July 2.
The Defense Department made $1.1 billion in improper payments in 2011, a recently released May 13 Government Accountability Office report says. Improper payments include wrong payout for health benefits, retirement pay and travel reimbursement.